History & |Heritage
The West Arms is a 16th Century Inn. It was originally a farm owned by the Watkins Williams Wynne Family of Llangedwyn Hall. It later became a Drovers’ Inn and offers the same warmth and hospitality today as it did back in 1570, when it was built.
Centuries ago, cattle drivers coming down from the Welsh hills by way of three tracks (now passable roads) that converged at The West Arms, were wanting to shelter, rest and refresh their cattle at the Inn en route to Chirk, Oswestry and London markets.
The West Arms is named after Mr Cornwallis West – who was a local land owner. Formerly, the hotel was called The Eagles as shown in the Coat of Arms belonging to another well known local family, the William Wynnes. When sold to Mr Cornwallis West, the hotel was renamed The West Arms.